MORGANTOWN — A man originally charged with second-degree sexual assault was sentenced for three lesser charges Thursday.
Giovanni George, of Morgantown, was sentenced to consecutively serve one to five years in a state penitentiary for both counts of unlawful assault and will concurrently serve a one-year sentence for witness intimidation by Monongalia County Circuit Court Judge Russell Clawges. He also ordered George to make a one-time payment of $10 to the Monongalia County Victim Assistance Program.
Defense attorney Holly Hinerman said her client has been in jail since his Oct. 16 arrest and asked for probation or home confinement. She said George had a construction job lined up if an alternate sentence was imposed.
George said he took full responsibility for his actions and that he learned his lesson while in jail. He asked the court to be lenient and give him and alternate sentence and the chance to prove he could be a productive member of society.
Prosecutor Gabrielle Mucciola said George was not a good candidate for alternative sentencing because he’s had trouble following the terms of probation in the past and not shown up to court before.
She asked he be sentenced to one to five years on each count of unlawful assault and one year for witness intimidation.
Clawges told George he was not giving him an alternate sentence because of the seriousness of the offenses, his criminal history and the plea agreement dismissed more serious charges.
It was previously reported by The Dominion Post that George was charged with second-degree sexual assault.
The prosecutor’s information — used in lieu of an indictment — said George “repeatedly unlawfully and intentionally” called and conversed with the woman to try to “influence, delay and/or prevent” her from testifying in a sexual assault trial January to February.