TUNNELTON — South Preston School and Fellowsville Elementary are teaming with After School Explorers to offer several free summer activities.
At South Preston:
- Beautification Camp will be 9 a.m.-noon Monday and running through Thursday, with Instructor Katrina Knowlton. The camp will include a variety of lessons on improving your school.
Bill Shockey from WVU Extension will give a presentation on Monday of the day camp. Campers will be planting a variety of items around the school, including shrubs and trees.
- Zero Robotics with Jenny Zinn and Donna Plum will start July 9 and run to Aug 10, every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 8 a.m.- 1 p.m. Middle school students will be writing computer code to be used to move a S.P.H.E.R.E. on the International Space Station.
After School Explorers will team with NASA and MIT for this project. There will be a field trip to the West Virginia Geological Survey office in Morgantown and a trip to the international competition in Fairmont.
- Learning in Motion will stop in the Tunnelton area from 9-11:30 a.m. on June 12, July 10 and July 31. Learning in Motion is a retro-fitted school bus designed to be a mobile learning center. It will offer STEM activities on the bus, bring families lunch and give books out to the community.
- Summer Library will be at South Preston from 10 a.m. until noon on Tuesdays, June 19 and 26, and on July 10, 17, 24 and 31.
- The Summer Gardening Program is a newly awarded $19,995 grant to teach the Junior Master Gardeners Curriculum to six schools in Preston County from 9 a.m.-noon on Wednesdays, June 20 and 27; July 11, 18 and 25; and Aug. 1.
Students will learn while digging in the dirt. Plans are also in motion to visit a farmers market.
- STREAM Science Camp with Friends of Cheat begins Tuesday and runs until Thursday with Instructors Jennifer Sapp and Destinee Spiker. STREAM stands for science, technology, engineering, art and math. The free camp will be from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday at Fellowsville Elementary.
For the field trip on Thursday the program will begin at 9 a.m. The bus will take campers to Albright. Please bring a bag lunch all three days. Snacks will be provided. The camp will include a variety of lessons on water quality and what lives in our water.
Friends of the Cheat will include a hands on stream exploration on Thursday at the headwaters of the Cheat. Campers need to wear shoes that enclose the toes and wear sunscreen all three days.
- Learning in Motion will stop in Fellowsville 9-11:30 a.m. on June 12, July 10 and July 31 at the Lion’s Club Park.
- Summer library will be at Fellowsville Elementary 10 a.m.-noon on Tuesdays, June 19 and 26, and July 10, 17, 24 and 31. Little Learner families are also welcome to come and check out books and resources.
- Summer Gardening Program will teach the Junior Master Gardeners Curriculum 9 a.m.-noon on Wednesdays, June 20 and 27; July 11, 18, 25; and Aug. 1.
Staffing positions are still posted for some summer programs on the Preston County Schools web page.
For more info on After School Explorers or these summer programs follow the program on Facebook at Preston Reads or call 304-288-5244.