MORGANTOWN — Lillian Kooser pitched a one-hit shutout and drove in three runs May 2 to boost Morgantown High over Buckhannon-Upshur, 14-0, in sectional softball play.
The win sends Morgantown against University at 5 p.m. today for the section championship, at Mylan Park. MHS has to beat the Hawks twice to win the section title. If the Mohigans win the first game, a second will follow 30 minutes later.
Kooser went 2-for-2 at the plate and allowed one walk to go with four strikeouts on the mound.
Julia Zaph was 2-for-4 with three RBIs and Ally Hawkins was 2-for-3 with three RBIs for the Mohigans, who piled up 13 hits and six walks to breeze to victory..
University and Morgantown players learned their seeds for the regional tournament that begins at 9 a.m. today, at Marilla Park.
- Boys’ singles: No. 1, Drew Hawthorne, seeded first; No. 2, Kyle Hawthorne, seeded second; No. 3, Tommy McClellan, seeded third; No. 4, Andre Barcinas, seeded first.
- Boys’ doubles: No. 1, Drew and Kyle Hawthorne, seeded first; No. 2, Jackson Rutledge/Jameson Walters, seeded first; No. 3, Deiland Slaughter/Levi Watson, seeded first.
- Girls’ singles: No. 1, Maya Gharib, seeded sixth; No. 2, Grace Valenzuela, seeded fifth; No. 3, Macy Schlobohn, seeded sixth; No. 4, Emma Watson, seeded fifth.
- Girls’ doubles: No. 1, Gharib/Valenzuela, seeded sixth; No. 2, Madison Johnston/Clara Lehki, seeded sixth; No. 3, Natalie Wonsettler/Lucy Roh, seeded fifth.
- Boys’ singles: 1, Ben Rosiello, seeded third; No. 2, Ataes Aggarwal, seeded first; No. 3, Sam Gorski, seeded second; No. 4, Hamilton Hall, seeded third.
- Boys’ doubles: No. 1, Rosiello/Aggarwal, seeded second; No. 2, Hall/Gorski, seeded second; No. 3, Jack Hudson/Ben Shi, seeded third.
- Girls’ singles: No. 1, Emme McKnight, seeded first; No. 2, Cat Wassick, seeded first; No. 3, Vinitha Joseph, seeded first; No. 4, Mackenzie Sorton, seeded first.
- Girls’ doubles: No. 1, McKnight/Wassick, seeded first; No. 2, Joseph/Bella Mascari, seeded first; No. 3, Sorton/Ashalia Aggarwal, seeded first.
The other teams in the region are Brooke, Buckhannon-Upshur, John Marshall, Preston and Wheeling Park.
Morgantown 27, Brooke 7: WELLSBURG — Devon Neal went 4-for-4 with a home run, a double and six RBIs, and Caleb Taylor went 3-for-4 with five RBIs to power the Mohigans (14-8).
MHS put up nine runs in the first inning and 11 in the third to blow out the Bruins, giving coach Mark McCarty a chance to play everyone in the five-inning game.
Quintin Smith (four runs, two RBIs), Colton Matthews (two RBIs) and avin Cottle (one RBI) each had two hits.
Freshman Ethan Smith pitched two innings of one-hit relief to get the win for the Mohigans, who play Bridgeport at 3 p.m. Friday, at Mon County Ballpark.
Trinity 13, Tucker County 3: Tucker Livengood went 3-for-5 with five RBIs and Kyler Grimes had two hits, drove in two runs and pitched the home victory for the Warriors.
Grimes went six innings, allowing two runs on one hit and collecting five strikeouts.
James McCroskey went 3-for-4 and drove home two runs, and Nick Beimel was 3-for-3 for Trinity.
TRACK AND FIELD
OVAC championships: ST. CLAIRSVILLE, Ohio — Morgantown and University athletes participated in Class 5A qualifying for the all-class finals, scheduled for Saturday.
Times and distances from Wednesday:
GIRLS (top 4):
Long jump: 3, Justice Washington (MHS), 15-5 1/2.
1600: 1, Samantha Hatcher (MHS), 5:15.66; 2, Caroline Kirby (UHS), 5:28.21; 3, Peyton Kukura (UHS), 5:33.94; 4, Amelia Haddox (MHS), 5:37.44.
200: 1, Justice Washington (MHS), 27.29; 3, Kendall Ours (UHS), 28.89.
300 low hurdles: 3, Kinsley Boggess (UHS).
4×100: Morgantown, 51.38.
800: 3, Zoe Shetty (UHS), 2:25.73; 4, Myah McAlister (MHS), 2:31.41.
Shuttles: 3, Morgantown, 1:12.84.
4×400: 1, Morgantown, 4:12.27.
BOYS (top 4)
Shot put: 2, Tre Barnes (MHS), 46-7.
High jump: 3, Brendan Jones (MHS), 5-4.
200: Alajuan Robinson (MHS), 23.01.
1600: 3, Andrew Christy (MHS), 4:38.94.
300 intermediate hurdles: 3, Azim Turakhonov (MHS), 43.27; 4, Gabe Stover (MHS), 43.72.
4×100: 3, Morgantown, 45.81.
800: 4, Tyrique Stone (MHS), 2:04.70.
Shuttles: 3, Morgantown, 1:03.42.
4×400: 2, Morgantown, 3:38.85.