Cops and Courts

Preston County woman charged with malicious assault after alleged beating

A Preston County woman is facing malicious assault charges after allegedly continuing to beat an unconscious woman during a physical altercation on June 28 in Kingwood. 

Kingwood Police were called to the fight scene at the Circle K on West Main Street and spoke with the apparent victim who “appeared to be disoriented, had blood in/around her mouth, and was holding ice and a towel on the right side of her head,” according to court documents. 

The victim told officers that her attackers were Johnna Nicole Goines, 35, and Jeremy Jo Goines, 49, both of Albright, but she had no memory of the incident. She was then transported to Preston Memorial Hospital for treatment. 

During the follow-up investigation, police learned that the victim and Johnna Goines had prior issues between them which may have sparked the fight. 

According to the criminal complaint, a witness to the altercation alleged that once the victim was close to the Goines’ vehicle, “Johnna opened up the door, jumped out like superman [sic] and clocked her.” 

That’s when the victim went limp and fell to the ground where the witness claimed Johnna “continued to hit her while she was down.” 

After hitting the victim several times, the witness said Johnna grabbed her by the hair and smashed her head into the concrete. 

When police asked the witness to describe the victim’s condition when her head went into the pavement, they said she was unconscious and “fully looked like it after the first hit.” 

According to the complaint, the witness said Johnna returned to her vehicle when Jeremy came over and “scooped [the victim] up like a rag doll and tossed her off to the side.” 

The Goines then allegedly left the scene together. The extent of the victim’s injuries is unknown. 

The duo was arraigned in Preston County Magistrate Court on Monday. Johnna Goines is charged with malicious or unlawful assault. She was released after posting a $25,000 bond. 

Jeremy Goines is charged with misdemeanor battery and was released after posting a $1,500 bond.