Latest News

Rowlesburg man in fair condition after rescue

An elderly man reported missing from the Rowlesburg area was found late Thursday morning after law enforcement, area search and rescue teams, and local volunteers scoured parts of Preston County following a silver alert issued Wednesday. 

The missing man, Delmar Sisler, who was said to have a history of Alzheimer’s and dementia, had last been seen traveling on foot in the Erwin area of Rowlesburg at around 2 p.m. on Wednesday.   A silver alert was issued after his disappearance was discovered.   

Search and rescue efforts began almost immediately. 

“We were alerted shortly after 10 p.m. [Wednesday] night and responded with a trailing search dog, man trackers, ground searchers and search managers,” said Lee Fuell, president of Mountaineer Area Rescue Group (MARG), one of the agencies assisting with the search. “We searched all night and developed some clues that helped focus this morning’s efforts which ultimately located the subject.” 

A search party also gathered and dispersed early Thursday morning at Rowlesburg Volunteer Fire Department, adding to the overnight efforts from official agencies. 

A few hours later, the Preston County Sheriff’s Office, as well as Sisler’s daughter Lois Bulford, shared the news he had been found. 

“Dad has been found,” Bulford posted. “The only thing we know right now is he’s awake and incoherent … Thank each and every one for your prayers and thank all the volunteers that came out to help.” 

Sisler was said to have been found near the base of a tree in a wooded area off of Madison Run Road. Those among the first to reach Sisler had EMT training and were able to provide stabilizing care.

During the rescue, responders could be heard on emergency scanners providing the freezing man blankets and various treatments as they awaited transportation. 

Sisler was then hoisted from his location in woods and transported by helicopter to J.W. Ruby Memorial Hospital in Morgantown. 

Hospital officials at Ruby Memorial reported Sisler was in “fair” condition as of 3 p.m. Thursday.